Window shutters are a great installation if you are going for functionality and beauty. They are available in varying styles and have many advantages. So allow us to go through the two aspects to assist you to get over the line and invest in window shutters. Before delving further into this guide, if you prefer blinds over shutters, then I advise that you search for automated blinds.
The Various Styles Available
- California shutters: They have thinner louvres and are fabricated from wood.
- Plantation shutters: Similar to the California shutters, these shutters are for the most part wood but with wider slats usually coated in white. You can also acquire these shutters in plastic. Their style is attributed to the shutters often found in Southern state plantations.
- Vinyl shutters: They feature vinyl slates that are produced in volumes; therefore, they are a cost-effective choice, which makes them a sought-after option for numerous homeowners. Vinyl shutters are available in different colours and textures to satisfy different preferences and tastes.
- Composite wood shutters: They are also referred to as faux wood shutters. Their slats are crafted from artificial wood, which can be made to imitate natural timber but lack the sturdiness associated with wooden shutters.
- Cafe shutters: These shutters are slatted and specially made to hide the lower window parts for privacy, while the open upper part allows natural lighting and air.
- Exterior shutters: They are fitted from the outdoors and are fancied for their high protection and privacy levels. Exterior shutters can be fabricated from wood or metal (mostly aluminium).
Benefits Of Window Shutters
The main reason why most homeowners obtain shutters is protection. The installations will shield your windows and indoors as well as increase privacy levels.
For example, you can set louvres at an angle that manages natural lighting in your home. In so doing, you will be protecting your furniture and other household items from exposure to direct light. Enclosing the slats with a UV protection layer improves their resilience.
The majority of shutters are made to ensure harsh weather, and the metal alternatives are not easily damaged by debris. Panel blinds for bifold doors are the ideal shading solutions for large or wide windows. They can also be used as sliding room dividers.
You can also put in window shutters as a security feature since they act as barriers that deter burglars from gaining entry into your premises. Plus the privacy they provide ascertains individuals cannot see the interior of your home.
Wood is natural and shutters made from this material offer exceptional sound and thermal insulation. It is also known for its energy efficiency; therefore it is a popular option for a lot of window shutters. When the slats are shut, the material will obstruct sunlight while letting in airflow if windows remain open.
You can attain the same goal using blackout curtains, however, shutters provide more durability and versatility. You can fit them in your bathroom windows or kitchen where curtains are not a suitable fit as the room temperatures are naturally moderated, reducing your cooling and heating costs.
Privacy is the other reason why homeowners opt to install window shutters. When these shutters are closed, they encompass the windows, obstructing the view. And you can calibrate the slats, angling them to permit airflow and regulate the natural lighting without infringing on your privacy.
Slanting the louvres downwards gives room for better lighting and air circulation. When the slats are angled, it will be difficult to peer through, but the privacy you get varies depending on the slat width and material used.
4. Curb Appeal
California shutters and their plantation complements radiate a timeless antiquated charm, which makes them a great option if you want a vintage look. Contemporary shutters feature a sleek presentation that fits the aesthetics of today’s homes. In a nutshell, you can get shutters that meet rustic or modern preferences ascertaining they enhance the curb appeal.